The 2/64 "Anjou" is a tactical Transport Squadron working on C-160 Transall.
“Anjou” offers the same capabilities as 1/64 "Bearn", which are (among others):
- Tactical Airlift: Tactical flights with assault landings to deploy personnel or equipment in a hostile environment and/or performing NEO (Non Combatant
- Airdrop: Dropping equipment or personnel by parachute,
- Air-to-Air Refuelling: Allows to quickly deliver fuel in favor of fighter- or other (transport-) aircrafts,
- Bunkering: Deliver fuel on ground to aircraft involved in tactical missions - particularly to helicopters specialized in Combat Search And Rescue (CSAR),
- Medical Evacuation
The roots of “Anjou” go back to the 22nd of August 1917, where two squadrons equipped with Breguet planes - later Sopwith planes - operated on the field of Villacoublay: The BR 131 and BR 132. They quickly take part in the operations taking place in Alsace and at Soissons in the Marne, being part of the 4th Bomber Group.
As part of the Bomber Group 2/15 at Reims it took over finally the name as of “Anjou” on 22nd January 1944. After the armistice - and equipped with the first Dakota aircrafts - the group moved to Lyon and Chartres. Finally it deployed to Indochina in July 1946 as Transport Group 2/64 “Anjou”, which determined from now on the history of the unit. The nickname "The lords of Anjou" reflected the expertise and daring crew while this period. The unit performed 17.596 sorties and 64.225 flying hours in Far-East and was rewarded seven times.
In June 1955 the 2/64 Transport Group joined Blida, where it performed routine flights in Sub-Saharan Africa. The Group was renumbered 2/62 in 1956 and moved back to France (Reims) in December 1961. In 1963, the Transport Group 2/62 became the Transport Squadron 2/62, being now part of the 62nd Transport Wing.
After fifteen years of service in the 62nd Wing (in June 1978), a first group of eight Noratlas aircrafts joined Evreux Air Base and the squadron became the 2/64 Transport Squadron, belonging to the 64th Transport Wing.
In 1983, the first Transall C 160 NG joined the squadron, being more efficient with a new navigation system. As of this date the squadron multiplied deployments overseas: Bangui, Libreville, Sinai, Chad, former Yugoslavia.
After the attacks of 9/11, the squadron intensified its activities on external sites, particularly in the Middle East and Africa: Afghanistan, Kirgistan, Côte d'Ivoire, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Lomé,...
Text and pictures being translated from SIRPA